You are here
Field House Pool
When built the swimming pool was the largest indoor collegiate swimming pool in the United States, which was meant to double as a reservoir for fire fighting. Swimming pool users may access the pool directly from the dressing rooms via a tunnel. For route information and information regarding specialized equipment and services for those with disabilities, call Recreational Services at (319) 335-9847.
Field House Pool Information
- Depth: 4ft-17ft
- Pool Temp: 81-82 degrees F
- Open Rec. Format: Lap Swim, Open Diving
Field House Pool Rules
- A Recreational Services lifeguard must be present before entering the water.
- Emergency Signal—3 whistle blasts. Exit the pool immediately.
- No diving in the shallow end of the swimming pool and in other areas where it is marked “NO DIVING”.
- No horseplay in or around the swimming pool.
- No running on the deck.
- Proficient swimming ability is required in deep water areas.
- No swimming or reaching beneath the moveable bulkhead.
- Use of starting platforms is limited to approved user groups.
- Do not enter the pool if you have a communicable disease or an open wound.
- Shower before entering the pool and after use of restroom facilities.
- Proper swimwear is required.
- Glass containers are prohibited in the pool area.
- Do not bring food, drink, gum, alcohol, or tobacco products into the pool.
- Swimming or diving instruction may be provided solely by Recreational Services aquatics staff or approved groups.
- Use of the diving platform is strictly prohibited by all groups.
- When recreational diving is available:
- Only the 1-meter springboards may be used.
- Springboard fulcrum must be set in the forward-most position.
- All jumps and dives must be in a straight-forward direction.
- Back dives, inward dives, reverse dives, spins, handstands, and seat drops are not permitted.
- Only one person on a diving board at a time.
- Only one bounce per jump or dive is allowed.
- Swim directly to the nearest ladder and exit the pool after each entry.
- Activity deemed unsafe by the lifeguard will be prohibited.