Conditioning for Climbing
Elevate your performance and technical toolbox in this climbing-oriented strength and conditioning course. Build endurance, power, skill and focus on the road ahead through a multitude of modalities including yoga, for mobility and heightened mind-boy connection, resistance training for a well-balanced muscular body, boulder circuits on the up-and-coming spray wall, and biomechanics. Unlock your true potential with peers and coaches in this five-week journey to greatness.
All sessions will take place at the CRWC Bouldering Wall.
- Session 1: Tuesdays/Thursdays, Feb. 7 - March 9
- Session 2: Tuesdays/Thursdays, April 4 - May 4
Times: 6 p.m. - 7p.m
Head Over Heel Hook
Show your Valentine's Day spirit at our 12th annual top-rope climbing competition! Compete in one of three divisions in this fun event designed to bring all levels of climbers together to showcase their skills and enjoy the sport of climbing. Special prizes will be awarded to those with the wildest Valentine's Day costumes as voted on by your peers!
For the first time ever, divisions will be split into Level One, Level Two, and Level Three, regardless of gender identity. Sign up for whichever division you would like to compete in! Participants will score off their top three routes. The top three participants from each category will compete on a designated finals route!
To know which division is best for you, see the suggested difficulty ratings next to each division. Sign up for whatever division has the highest grade you have flashed or onsighted.
- Level One: 5.6 to 5.9
- Level Two: 5.9 to 5.11
- Level Three: 5.11 and above
Who: Ages 12+
When: February 11th, 10:00 - 5:00 p.m. (Check-in begins at 9:00 a.m.)
Where: CRWC Climbing Wall
- Early Registration (Through February 1st): $30
- Late Registration (February 2nd – February 10th): $35
- Day-Of Registration (February 11th): $40
Women Trans* Femme
Join us for our Women/Trans*/Femme community climbing event! Climbers of all experience levels are invited to enjoy the sport of climbing in a supportive, welcoming environment. Please register for the Climbing Clinic taking place at the beginning of the event to learn about safety and the basic techniques of climbing on both the top-roping wall and the bouldering wall. If you are already an experienced Women/Trans*/Femme climber, join us after the clinic for free Try-Climbs between 11:30-2PM for any WTF person who wants to climb!
Why the asterisk on 'trans'? We use this to include all folks that identify as transgender, non-binary, genderqueer, two-spirit, gender non-conforming and other trans-experiences.
When: Saturday, February 25th
- Time: 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Fee: $20 (includes all necessary gear)
Climbing & Social Hours:
- Time: 11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Fee: FREE
Sets on the Beach
Sets On the Beach is one of the most unique climbing events to have ever existed! Every climber will be put on a team of four. Every team will attempt to set a boulder problem that their team can do, and other teams cannot! Climbers of differing ability levels will be put into teams of 4. Through a series of lottery picks, teams will get to decide what climbing holds they get, and where on the wall they can set a problem. Points will be scored on a variety of different accomplishments and winners will be announced at the end. Join us at the CRWC Bouldering wall for a fun filled time with friends, food, and music! Don't forget to dress in your best beach wear!
When registering, please categorize yourself as one of the following levels of ability level based on your ability to do a bouldering problem in a single climbing session.
- Beginner: V0-V1
- Intermediate: V2-V3
- Advanced: V4-V5
- Elite: V6 or higher
Write down the name(s) of anyone you would like on your team. Please note that in order to keep teams as fair as possible, these preferences are not guaranteed.
Who: Ages 14+
When: March 25th, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Where: CRWC Bouldering Wall
- Early Registration (March 1st- 22nd): $25
- Late Registration (March 23rd-24th): $30
- Day-Of Registration (March 25th): $35
Youth Climbing Team
The Youth Climbing Program was established to help young climbers learn and improve their climbing skills. The lessons and practices are designed to build confidence by focusing on problem-solving, communication, trust, and teamwork. Staff will guide young climbers in safety, technique, and fun while at the rock wall. Our goal is to foster a safe and positive climbing environment for all climbers.
This Spring we will be offering two separate levels of our Youth Climbing Program.
Level 1: This session is designed for youth who are new or beginners in climbing.
Level 2: This session is designed for youth climbers who have already gone through the Youth program and are ready to challenge themselves further. If your child has not gone through Level 1, but you believe they are ready for Level 2 from previous climbing experience, you may register them for Level 2. If you are unsure of which program might be best for your child, please contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries.
Age range 7-14 years old.
Must weigh over 50 pounds.
Registration will open at 9am on December 14th.
More information about how to register your child can be found here.
Spring 2023 schedule:
- Level 1: 10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Level 2: 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday January 29
- Sunday February 5
- Sunday February 12
- Sunday February 19
- Sunday February 26
- Sunday March 5
- Sunday March 26
- Sunday April 2
- Sunday April 9
- Sunday April 16
Group climbing wall events
The climbing wall is available to rent for unique social events, including birthday parties, scout troop outings, workplace socials, residence hall and Greek community events.
|Number of Climbers||Rate|
|1 – 10 climbers||$150/Hour|
|11 – 15 climbers||$200/Hour|
|16 – 20 climbers||$250/Hour|
*Groups larger then 20 should consider dividing the group up over two hours of climbing.
- 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Climbing wall policies:
- Cancellations made prior to the end of the registration period will be honored.
- After the registration period ends no refunds will be given.
- There are no makeup lessons if a participant must miss a class due to their own scheduling conflicts.
- If a cancellation is needed due to extenuating circumstances, the participant will need to speak with the Adventure Recreation Coordinator immediately in order for a refund to be considered.
Personal climbing equipment is allowed at the climbing wall. All personal climbing equipment must be recorded during the orientation process and again at each daily sign-in. All climbers must complete the rules of conduct form and be responsible for the proper use and care of their equipment. No auto-locking belay devices are allowed at the CRWC climbing wall.
How to register online:
- If you are a community member, you can set up an account here. You can also set up an account by calling 335-9293 or by visiting the CRWC member services desk to create an account. Once that's done, you'll be good to go!
- If you already have a Hawk ID or have a community account, click here to go to our online registration portal.
- Head over to our Online Registration FAQ page to learn more about the process.
- Payment must be made at the time of registration online or at the membership desk.
- Forms of payment accepted: Check (made out to The University of Iowa), Credit Card, U-bill (U-bill is in-person only).
- If you have questions concerning the program or level placement, please contact the Adventure Recreation Coordinator at 319-335-9290.