Try climbs are designed for people wishing to “try” climbing. The climbing wall staff will manage the safety systems while you experience the climbing wall first hand. Try Climbs are a great way to get a feel for the sport without committing to a lesson and learning all of the technical safety skills. Try Climbs are held during regular climbing wall hours.
Cost: $5 (does not include CRWC walk-in fee).
Bouldering is rock climbing without the ropes and gear. Participants stay lower to the ground, often traversing the wall searching for the hardest movements. The focus is on body movement and honing their climbing skills without the restriction of technical climbing equipment. Bouldering is quite social as climbers take turns working together to unlock the sequence of movement required to complete a bouldering route. Please enjoy the separate bouldering wall as well as the “splash landing” wall overhanging the Rec Pool! A short orientation is required to use the bouldering wall.
Top rope climbing is a style in climbing where the climbing is securely attached to a rope at the top of the wall. The climber then climbs up and down the wall while being supported by a belayer.
A climbing lesson is required in order to participate in this type of climbing.
- Sign up in advance on our registration page.
- A climbing lesson will teach you the basics to become oriented with the wall and the safety procedures for climbing safely. Topics include climbing knots, harnesses, belay skills, and climbing commands.
- Following the completion of the lesson, you will be asked to come back at a later date to complete the safety check, which is included in the lesson fee.
- Top Rope Climbing Lessons max out at four participants per class.
- Fall/Spring Semesters:
- Mondays and Wednesdays | 6:30 p.m. & 8:30 p.m.
- Fridays | 6:30 p.m.
- Summer Semester:
After you've gained experience in top-rope climbing, the next step would be learning how to lead climb.
- Lead climbing lessons are available by appointment. Due to high demand, we are currently not offering lead climbing lessons.
- Ideally, you should have six months of climbing experience before taking a lead climbing lesson.
- All climbers wishing to lead climb are required to obtain a lead climbing approval card.
Improve your technique, strengthen your core, and advance your skills to the next level by taking a personal training session. Personal training is designed with your specific goals in mind and maybe the link to taking your climbing to the next level.
*If a climber is not a member, they must also purchase a day pass.
Due to high demand, we are no longer accepting private lesson requests at this time.
Safety checks are required to obtain your approval card, which you need to climb at the wall. Safety checks can occur anytime the wall is open, and staff is available to check you. You will be required to demonstrate that you have retained the skills from the lesson. Upon passing the safety check, you will receive your approval card. Cards are valid for the current academic year. Safety check recertification is designed for people who have previously passed a safety check at our wall and are looking to update their approval cards. You must present your expired approval card to participate in the recertification process.
Recertification Cost: $10