The Campus Recreation Wellness Center opened during the summer of 2010. This state-of-the-art facility boasts 20,000 square feet of fitness space over three levels, a 52-and-a-half-foot climbing wall, a 50-meter competitive swimming pool, an 18-foot deep diving well, a recreation swimming pool, a one-ninth-mile jogging track, two basketball/volleyball courts, one multi-activity gym, a café, locker rooms, upgraded club locker rooms, a Wellness Suite, and the Recreational Services Administrative Suite.
The Rec Pool features include zero-depth entry, bubble benches, 25-person spa, vortex, current channel, water volleyball, water basketball, climbing wall, and video board.
The Wellness Suite brings together staff from UI Wellness, Student Wellness, and Recreational Services for fitness assessments, nutrition counseling, and a variety of other wellness offerings.
The Campus Recreation & Wellness Center has three Activity Rooms located on the third floor for Group Fitness Classes. Group Fitness classes are free for members. The rooms are called AR1, AR2, and AR3.
The climbing wall is located in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. The wall boasts over 50 feet of amazing climbable features, including bulges, arêtes, roofs, cracks, and a separate bouldering wall. This state-of-the-art climbing wall boasts 10 top rope stations while every square inch is also open to lead climbing! Built by Entre-prises and designed to look and climb like real rock, this new wall will inspire seasoned climbers and beginners alike.
More information about the Climbing Wall can be found here.
- Items and activities PROHIBITED in the gymnasium:
- Kicking or throwing basketballs and/or other equipment towards the wall, ceiling, track and/or windows. Violators will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- Hanging on the nets or rims.
- Outdoor sports including football, baseball, softball, Frisbee, and lacrosse.
- Fighting, unruly conduct, profanity, or rough play. Violators will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- No spitting on the courts or windows.
- No food and drinks are allowed. Only Water or sport drinks in closed plastic containers are permitted.
- A non‐marking, athletic shoe that covers the entire foot must be worn at all times.
- In the event of an injury or accident, contact a facility supervisor.
Basketball Challenge Rules
- A verbal challenge is issued by waiting players. No one in a game may call the next game.
- Challenges can only be issued on one court and the challenger must be present before preceding game ends.
- Only one person is needed to issue a challenge.
- Players from losing team may be chosen for the next game only if no other players are present and waiting.
- Games are limited to 15 baskets (win by two)
- Teams winning three consecutive games must sit out a minimum of one game if other players are waiting.
- Basketball games have priority on Court 2 except for the times listed for volleyball priority.
- To ensure gender equity, Court 1 is designated “Priority for Women” (Minimum of 8 women)
- When the number of females participating decreases below the number required, court will go back to regular challenge rules.
- Volleyball games will take priority on Court 2 during the following times:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 12:00pm – 2:00pm
- Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Games are rally scoring (play to 25, win by two)
- Winning team will keep the court. Teams winning two consecutive games must sit out a minimum of one game if other teams are waiting to play.
- Must have a minimum 6 players.
Priority Usage for MAC Gym:
- Scheduled Recreational Services Activities/Events
- Soccer with a minimum of 6 players
- Volleyball with a minimum of 6 players
Indoor Soccer Challenge Rules:
- First team to score 2 goals wins; the winning team stays on the court.
- Games are played for 10 minutes, and whoever is ahead wins the game.
- If game is tied after 10 minutes, both teams come off.
- Slide tackling is not allowed.
- Must have a minimum of 6 players
- Recreational Services indoor soccer balls are the only soccer ball permitted in the MAC Gym. Checkout is available at the Equipment Desk.
The CRWC is home to the the Diving Well, Natatorium, an Olympic sized swimming pool, and the Rec Pool which are used by Recreational Services and the University of Iowa Swimming and Diving Team.
- Depth: 14 to 17 feet
- Pool Temp: 82 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open Rec. Format: Lap Swim
- Springboards: two 3-meter, and two 1-meter
- Platform boards heights: 10-meter, 7.5-meter, 5-meter, 3-meter, and 1-meter
- Lap Lanes
- Depth: 7 to 9 feet
- Pool Temp: 79 to 81 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Open Rec. Format: Lap Swim Only
- Configuration Schedule:
- August - March: 25-yard short course configuration
- April - August: 50-meter long course configuration
- Depth: 0 to 8 feet
- Pool Temp: 84 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spa Temp: 101 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open Rec. Format: Open Swim
- Current Channel
- Zero depth entry
- Water play features
- Bouldering wall
- 20-yard lap lanes
- Basketball hoop
More information about our pool spaces, policies, and schedules can be found on our Aquatics page.
Our fitness area spans over three levels with over 200+ pieces of equipment including ellipticals, treadmills, exercise bikes, rowers, ergometers, arc trainers, and much more. Most of the machines include built-in TV screens to maximize your workout experience. Our top-of-the-line equipment and entertainment options ensure a comfortable and all-inclusive experience for every workout.
- Cardiovascular Equipment
- Cable Machine Equipment
- Plate-loaded Equipment
- Free Weights ranging from 5-120lbs
- Miscellaneous items include:
- Stretching Areas
- Exercise Mats
- Storage Cubbies
- Exercise Balls
- BOSU Stability Trainers
- Weighted Medicine Balls
- Rubber Assistant Bands
Want more information on how to use our equipment? Check out our playlist with how-to-videos to help you get the most out of your workout! Want a more personalized orientation? Reach out to email@example.com and we will be happy to help!
Metered Street Parking
- Metered Street Parking is available on the following streets:
- East Court Street
- South Capitol Street
- South Clinton Street
- Meters are enforced Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. except for the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
30 Minute Spots
- Five 30-minute free spots are located on South Madison Street
- To activate the 30 minutes, simply press the red button.
- A handicap parking spot can be located on the south end of the CRWC on Court Street
- This is a metered spot.
Power Cafe is located in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. On the menu you will find items such as smoothies, paninis, and wraps. Vegan and vegetarian items are also available at this location. Power Cafe accepts Hawk Dollars, UI Charge, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
More information can be found here.
Wellness Services at the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center is a dynamic component of the building, serving as a resource for the entire University community and supporting individuals in their pursuit of optimal health and well-being.
More information can be found here.