Construction has begun to modify the University of Iowa Field House.
This project will construct a roadway through what is now referred to as “Main Street”, the main entrance located between the South Gym and Swimming Pool.
As a result of this roadway, the main entrance will be relocated to the North.
A second entrance will be constructed on the west side of the Field House, near the overhead door located off the Main Deck.
The main goal of this project is to improve traffic flow in and around the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, especially with the addition of the new Children’s Hospital.
Funding for this project is being provided by UIHC. This project is expected to be completed by October 2013.
Construction updates and announcements will be sent through the Recreational Services Listserv and posted below. Information will also be posted by the
Construction Location Map (PDF)
- The drop off parking area including the ADA parking spots located east of the Field House, will be unavailable beginning Thursday, October 25th. This area will be used by the contractors and will be unavailable during the duration of this project. It will be relocated upon completion of the project. Patrons are encouraged to park in the adjacent parking ramp (Lot 6) or to utilize the metered parking spots located near Lot 14, across south Grand avenue. Parking rates are charged for University parking lots, the first 15 minutes are free.
- Beginning November 4th, Racquetball Court 5 will close until further notice. It will reopen upon the completion of the project.
- Beginning Saturday, November 24th, construction will begin on the concrete drive near the west side of current Field House Main Entrance. This area will remain open but pedestrian traffic should be aware of small detours that may occur.
- Beginning, Monday, November 26, the stairwell connecting Lot 6 to the area near the West entrance of the Field House, will be closed for an extended period of time. For access during this closure, please utilize the stairwell located in Ramp 4/ Ramp 90, located just south of the closed stairwell.
- The west side exterior doors of Main Street will be closed , from 6 PM until closing each evening, December 18 – 20 and January 2 – February 4. It will reopen each morning.
- Beginning Monday, January 28th, the walkway through the pool area in the Field House will no longer be available for use. There will be a temporary walkway built on the west side of the Field House that connects Main Street and the South Gym to the rest of the Field House. Please plan additional time when visiting the Field House to ensure you find your way around.
- Beginning January 29, the east Main Street entrance to the Field House will be closed. To access Main Street from the East, use the ADA accessible entrance from the lower level of the Field House parking ramp. This closure is necessary to install steel to support a new Air Handler unit in the South Gym. This closure is scheduled until February 5th at 5:00 PM.
- We are about to move into the next phase of the Field House renovation - relocating entrances. On Friday, April 12th at 6:00 PM, the west side of Main Street will be shut down permanently. April 15th the east side of Main Street and the northeast entrance will close permanently at 11:00 PM and 4:30 PM respectively. The new southeast and west entrances will then open at 5:30 AM on Tuesday, April 16th. The southeast entrance will be open for the full Field House hours. The west entrance will be open 5:30 AM - 7:00 PM, Monday - Friday and closed on weekends.
- Beginning Tuesday, April 16th, the stairwell in the center of AOB portion of the Field House will be “controlled access only”. This is the stairwell that leads from level 1 near the AOB restrooms to the level 2 near the HPAS and Recreational Services offices. In order to go from level 1 to level 2, individuals will need to use his/her access control card to unlock the door at the bottom of the stairs. Individuals who do not have a FH access control card can proceed down the hallway to the new Southeast entrance check-in area to gain access to the controlled areas of the building.
Quinton, Precor, Life Fitness and Woodway treadmills, Stairmaster Crossrobics, Schwinn Airdyne, Stairmaster Stairclimbers, Stairmaster Step Mill, Concept II Rowers, Precor EFX Elliptical Crosstrainer, Stairmaster Recumbent bicycles, Stairmaster Upright Bicycles.
Magnum Selectorized Weight Equipment:
Lat Pulldown, Pec Deck /Rear Fly, Tricep Extension, Gravitron Biangular Shoulder Press, Incline Press, Leg Extension, Multi-Hip, Ab Trainer, Vertical BenchPress, Shoulder Press, Bicep Curl, Angle Squat Rack, Leg Press, Leg Curl, Gravitron Weight-Assisted Chin/Dip, Tricep Press, Roman Chair.
Seated Leg Curl, Leg Press, Seated Calf Raise, Iso-Lateral Low Row, Iso-Lateral High Row, Iso-Lateral Leg Extension, Iso-Lateral Incline, Iso-Lateral Shoulder Press.
Pro Power Equipment:
Cable Crossover, Adjustable Incline Bench, Supine Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Decline Bench Press.
3lbs - 120lbs.
Cardio-Theater, Storage Cubbies, Stretching Area with Resist-a-balls & mats, Weighted Medicine Balls, BOSU, Stability Trainers and Foam Roller.