The University of Iowa, along with 90 other schools across the country, are facing head-to-head to see who can get the most people in their student bodies and surrounding communities outside and active. Outdoor Nation is partnering with The North Face and REI to launch the six-week challenge in hopes of connecting young people with outdoor engagement activities and events in their area. Students and community members can participate by joining the University of Iowa’s team at oncampuschallenge.org and document their outdoor activities. The school with the most activities logged will be the National Outdoor Champion will win a huge celebration on campus, bragging rights, and new gear library for our Outdoors Programs and Outdoor Education Program! An “Outsider of the Year” will also be awarded to a student that inspires the most people to get outdoors.
In addition to prizes for the winning school and individual, weekly prizes will also be given away to participants. The contest begins September 4th and ends October 15th. Activities can include (but are not limited to): biking, running, hiking, gardening, fishing, rowing, and climbing the rock wall at the CRWC. Activities must be at least 30 minutes in length and cannot be a traditional team sport (i.e. football, baseball, soccer, etc.).
HOW IT WORKS:
- Sign up for the challenge at oncampuschallenge.org (make sure to select the University of Iowa as your school!)
- Download the Outdoor Nation App to log your activity. App is available on the AppStore and Google Play.
- Take a photo of your outdoor activity – it can be a picture of you, your friends, or your surroundings.
- Upload your photo and the info on the Outdoor Nation App and you’ll get credit for your activity.
- Have your friends do the same! Everyone involved (and the University of Iowa) will get credit for the activity
You’ll be entered to win weekly prizes including gear from the North Face, Chaco, and many more!
Pre-registration begins August 22nd so ready to get outdoorsy! For more information, visit oncampuschallenge.org.