You are here
General Pool Rules
- A Recreational Services lifeguard must be present before entering the water.
- Emergency Signal—3 whistle blasts. Exit the pool immediately.
- No diving in the shallow end of the swimming pool and in other areas where it is marked “NO DIVING”.
- No horseplay in or around the swimming pool.
- No running on the deck.
- Proficient swimming ability is required in deep water areas.
- Do not enter the pool if you have a communicable disease or an open wound.
- Shower before entering the pool and after use of restroom facilities.
- Proper swimwear is required.
- Glass containers are prohibited in the pool area.
- Do not bring food, drink, gum, alcohol, or tobacco products into the pool.
- Swimming or diving instruction may be provided solely by Recreational Services aquatics staff or approved groups.
- Activity deemed unsafe by the lifeguard will be prohibited.
- Items and activities PROHIBITED in the gymnasium:
- Kicking or throwing basketballs and/or other equipment towards the wall, ceiling, track and/or windows. Violators will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- Hanging on the nets or rims.
- Outdoor sports including football, baseball, softball, frisbee, and lacrosse.
- Fighting, unruly conduct, profanity, or rough play. Violators will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
- No food or drinks are allowed. Water or sport drinks in closed plastic containers are permitted.
- No spitting on the courts or windows.
- A non‐marking, athletic shoe that covers the entire foot must be worn at all times.
- In the event of an injury or accident, contact a facility supervisor.
Basketball Challenge Rules
- A verbal challenge is issued by waiting players. No one in a game may call the next game.
- Challenges can only be issued on one court and the challenger must be present before preceding game ends.
- Only one person is needed to issue a challenge.
- Players from losing team may be chosen for the next game only if no other players are present and waiting.
- Games are limited to 15 baskets (win by two)
- Teams winning three consecutive games must sit out a minimum of one game if other players are waiting.
- Basketball games have priority on Court 2 except for the times listed for volleyball priority.
- To ensure gender equity, Court 1 is designated “Priority for Women” (Minimum of 8 women)
- When the number of females participating decreases below the number required, court will go back to regular challenge rules.
- Volleyball games will take priority on Court 2 during the following times:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 12:00pm – 2:00pm
- Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Games are rally scoring (play to 25, win by two)
- Winning team will keep the court. Teams winning two consecutive games must sit out a minimum of one game if other teams are waiting to play.
- Must have a minimum 6 players.
Priority Usage for MAC Gym:
- Scheduled Recreational Services Activities/Events
- Soccer with a minimum of 6 players
- Volleyball with a minimum of 6 players
Indoor Soccer Challenge Rules:
- First team to score 2 goals wins; the winning team stays on the court.
- Games are played for 10 minutes, and whoever is ahead wins the game.
- If game is tied after 10 minutes, both teams come off.
- Slide tackling is not allowed.
- Must have a minimum of 6 players
Recreational Services indoor soccer balls are the only soccer ball permitted in the MAC Gym. Checkout is available at the Equipment Desk.
- Track directional arrow changes daily. Follow the arrow for the appropriate direction:
- Run/Walk counterclockwise on even days
- Run/Walk clockwise on odd days
- Track Distance: 1/9 of a mile.
- Walkers, wheelchair users, slower runners, and stroller users should use the Inside Lane.
- Joggers and runners should use the Outside Lane.
- Youth under 13 years of age must have direct supervision to use the track.
- Proper shoes must be worn at all times.
- Items and activities Prohibited on the track:
- Standing or in any way blocking the lanes.
- Bringing accessory equipment onto the track (weights, medicine balls, etc)
- No spitting on the track.
- Stretching and warm‐up exercises are to occur in the stretching areas only.
- Personal possessions should be stored in a locker or cubbies. Recreational Services is not responsible for lost or stolen items.